The highly anticipated 2016 Portland Film Festival is fast approaching its August 29th to September 5th festival dates. And midnight, Friday, February 5th is the final deadline for early bird savings to submit your film or screenplay for consideration. With festival winners taking $22k in cash, prizes and more, there is a huge incentive to get your project submitted.
“Most of the films we screen, come from submissions,” says, Executive Director, Josh Leake, “our festival has always been a festival for filmmakers by filmmakers. Whereas, most festivals curate their total selections, we program 93% of our films from blind submissions.”
Submissions are still being accepted in the following categories:
- Shorts – narratives, documentaries, animation, experimental, mockumentary, and all other genres
- Features – narratives, documentaries, animation, experimental, mockumentary, and all other genres
- Animation – shorts and features
- Music video – also get an opportunity to have your band play at the festival
- Screenplay – both short, feature, TV and episodic
- Transmedia – storytelling in various media
- Midnight movie – exploitation, mockumentary, terror, horror, gore, and other genres
- Web – both single videos and episodic
- Student – all categories, reduced entry for middle school, high school and college students
As an accepted project with the 2016 Portland Film Festival, you will receive several filmmaker passes, giving cast and crew all access to the amazing line up of workshops, classes, parties, networking and screenings. In addition, accepted projects are encouraged to participate on panels, workshops and classes as well as a screening Q&A and a morning coffee chat, held daily for filmmakers to mingle and discuss their projects in detail.
Jennifer Arndt, Director of Hospitality, is tasked with insuring filmmakers have a great experience while attending, “we had over 367 filmmakers, cast and crew from the 226 screened films in 2015. In addition, we had over 1239 industry members and students attend our film conference events. Our festival is unique in its attendance but also the breadth of professional activities available to filmmakers. We partner with SAG AFTRA, writers groups, Women in Film, IATSE and other professional film organizations. Many attendees take part on panels and workshops. It’s an awesome experience. And it all starts with submitting your film or screenplay.”
Come experience, what MovieMaker Magazine describes as, “one of the coolest film festivals in the world,” and “one of the top 50 film festivals worth the submission fee.” Submissions are still being accepted until midnight February 5th as part of our early bird submission discount. Please submit through the following submission methods: